Monday, March 1, 2010

My Mermaid's Name Is...


My 3 ½ year old student, Caroline, made it through her first class today without hysterically crying because of separation (from her mom). She did a fair job participating, although strong listening skills are still absent. I love having her in class and watching her grow each week; not to mention that toddlers are adorable. She, her mother and I were talking after class. Caroline looked up and shared that her little mermaid at home (a toy that I’m sure is her walk-around-the-house/sleep with/ride-in-the-car with regular) is actually named ‘Miss Sara.’ I looked at her mom, who nodded at me to confirm, and my heart just about melted.

As leaders, teachers, mentors, siblings, parents or authority, it’s easy to forget what a high standard we’re held to. Being trusted day in and day out with these students is a blessing, a ministry and a responsibility. This doesn’t mean we have to be perfect. Perfection is solely of the Lord; so there is grace in the midst of our mistakes. Having said that it’s important to behave above reproach when working with impressionable gifts such as children. A little girl’s mermaid/doll/cabbage patch kid/Barbie/plastic baby is one of her most prized possessions. “My little mermaid’s name is Miss Sehwa,” She whispered with immense joy and pride – her eyes sparkled. Forget about it being cute and flattering; the point is that it was a bold reminder of how important it is to be a trustworthy role model. Kids don’t miss a beat, and they take to heart the words we say and the things we do.

“Now it is required that those who have been given a trust must prove faithful. (1 Corinthians 4:2)

I'm thankful to be trusted with all of my classes; as a choreographer, dancer, teacher and leader. I’m so excited about dance. I’m so excited about ministry. I’m so excited that, for me, they fall onto the same page.

1 comment: