Sunday, January 24, 2010

Hip Hop...in Honduras

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.(1 Corinthians 13:1-3)

*****
Below: All of the dancers after the show in Honduras. I'm in the middle, a couple rows up from the bottom.

Being a good or even a great dancer, having the rare but sweet ability to teach, and being able to perform for an audience - all great things - but what's the point if do any of it with a loving heart? The expression "blessed to be a blessing" is the point. On a trip to Honduras, while working at a bi-lingual school, a local church asked me to help them put on a huge dance production. Not knowing what I was getting into I said "Yes," wholeheartedly. This meant choreography and detailed instruction for dozens of people over the course of 7 days...

Their show was a success; huge turn out and great performance. I was so proud of their hard work, and even more honored to be a part of it. Dance transcends language barriers and cultural differences. Dance is the perfect venue for communication and ministry. I'm blessed in my career, and I can use those gifts to be a blessing to others. That's how all facets of life should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment